Wednesday 9 January 2013

Meeting Ai Weiwei



During my trip to Beijing, I was fortunate enough to have met one of China’s most prolific contemporary artists, AI WEIWEI. His name is synonymous with Chinese politics with his art geared towards drawing attention to social injustice. His provocative art has landed the artist in trouble with Chinese authorities, being detained for nearly three months last year, and with his passport currently confiscated to prevent him from leaving the country. His recent Gangnam Style parody video (featuring ‘handcuffed’ dance-moves to symbolize his current state of imprisonment) has over 180,000 hits on YouTube.

With the man himself... AI WEIWEI!!!

Upon arrival, I was struck by how serene, pristine and extremely conventional Ai Weiwei's studio looked. The beautiful grey-brick compound with a small, zen-like garden seemed in contrast to Ai's notoriety. It was only when I turned to see that backside of Ai's gate was graffitied with the word 'FUCK' in capitals that I was reminded that yes, I was in the presence of the artist that I had admired and read so much about.

Ai Weiwei is known for his love for his many cats... which was terrible for me and my allergy. After a really interesting half hour Q&A session with our group (with me sneezing the whole way through, obviously!), his assistant led us to a separate building housing his studio. We were free to snoop around and snap pictures of the vast space… glimpsing into what Mr. Ai has in store for us in the future!!



1 comment:

  1. Hello Jennifer, Great that you were able to meet up with ai wei wei.
    how did this meeting come about?
    I was thinking about doing an interview with him. I am a journalist/photographer. My articles are a lot about art. Do you know how I can contact him or his studio? I work together with a dutch artist painter, and it would be great if these guys would meet, and talk about art and freedom of expression, etc, etc. Please check out my website www.klinkphoto.com- my e-mail: info@klinkphoto.com hope to hear back frm you...Bye MK

    ReplyDelete